2010-2011 Quick Facts
VRAB Statistics for 2010-11:
- In 2010-11, the Board finalized 3,539 review decisions (i.e. the first level of redress) at the request of applicants. This represents less than 10% of the approximately 40,000 decisions* made by VAC each year with appeal rights to VRAB. The Board also finalized 974 appeal decisions (i.e. the second level of redress).
- VRAB applicant profile: 83.9% Canadian Forces members and Veterans; 10% Traditional Veterans (Second World War, Korean War); 6.1% RCMP.
- The most common applications made to the Board dealt with medical conditions involving the neck, the back, the knees and hearing loss.
- On average, 50% of the 3,539 VRAB review decisions and 33% of the 974 VRAB appeal decisions varied a previous ruling. This means the Board ruled in the applicant’s favour with respect to some aspect of their entitlement or assessment for benefits.
- The Board has committed to issuing written decisions to applicants within six weeks of their hearing. In 2010-11, 85% of review decisions and 88% of appeal decisions met this target.
- If applicants have exhausted all their redress options at the Board and remain dissatisfied, they have the right to apply to the Federal Court of Canada for a judicial review of the decision. In 2010-11, 13 applicants requested a judicial review. In the same year, the Court issued 13 decisions (pending from applications made in previous years). Of these, it asked the Board to rehear nine applications and decided to dismiss four applications.
Top 6 Conditions – Review, 2010-2011 – number of hearings
- Back Conditions (Lumbar Disc Disease Degenerative Disc Disease Lumbar Spine) – 607
- Knee Conditions (Osteoarthritis) – 433
- Hearing Loss – 258
- Tinnitus – 250
- Cervical Disc Disease – 235
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – 202
Top 6 Conditions – Appeal, 2010-2011 – number of hearings
- Back Conditions (Lumbar Disc Disease Degenerative Disc Disease Lumbar Spine) – 150
- Knee Conditions (Osteoarthritis) – 81
- Cervical Disc Disease – 76
- Hearing Loss – 67
- Tinnitus – 51
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – 45
*Includes VAC decisions re: first applications for disability benefits, department reviews and medical reassessments